My Android phone loses the Wi-Fi connection when I'm at home in the very short time after it is connected, usually around the first 30 seconds. Sometimes it works fine, but not often. When it isn't working, the Wi-Fi icon remains present. But I can't for instance browse to the IP of router 192.168.0.1.

The same phone is working properly with my work Wi-Fi. Other devices don't have problem with the home WiFi.

I'm a little lost and don't know how I can find the reason an fix it.

asked Mar 28, 2016 at 19:04

Alexander P's user avatar

5

  • I don't think the Android phone is the issue, it's his router. So the question is actually on topic.

    Sickest

    Mar 28, 2016 at 19:50

  • How far are you from the router when it loses connection? Some android phones have weak wifi receivers and that could be causing the loss. See if it also loses the connection right next to the router. If it doesn't then the problem is that your router transmits a weak signal, and your phone has a weak receiver, and the two together result in what you are seeing. If it still keeps losing the connection next to the router, but has no problem with all other wifi, then time to replace your router.

    Florian

    Mar 29, 2016 at 8:14

  • No it doesn't depend on the distance. And it shows always good signal. And it remains to show it also after it breaks the connection,

    Alexander P

    Mar 30, 2016 at 14:45

  • Try removing any booster apps.

    user193547

    Oct 24, 2016 at 14:52

  • I have this same issue with different devices on different routers, even when just a few feet away from it, really not sure why that is. It's been happening a lot on M

    Feb 23, 2017 at 22:47

4 Answers 4

I can't say that I completely understand how but the issue was solverd after I changed the DNS settings of my phone (for my home WiFi). I set it to Google default DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
And since that never this problem again.

Why the phone was loosing the whole connection is still unclear to me (though it remains now pure theoretical question)

answered Apr 14, 2016 at 9:53

Alexander P's user avatar

Depending on the version of android you are running you can try going to System settings> WiFi> Advanced> Tap "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" and select "Always"

answered Mar 28, 2016 at 19:37

TheStarvingGeek's user avatar

3

  • Try rebooting your router

    TheStarvingGeek

    Mar 28, 2016 at 20:13

  • I have this issue already several weeks. And rebooting router was the first I did (many times). It helps. But just same as turn off and on the Wifi of the device. Just for a while.

    Alexander P

    Mar 28, 2016 at 20:25

  • He said that it works fine with his work Wi-Fi. If this were the problem then it wouldn't work on any Wi-Fi.

    VirtualDXS

    Mar 28, 2016 at 20:54

It sounds like you have a bad router, or possibly too many devices connected. Many routers can't handle that many devices connected at once via Wi-Fi.

answered Mar 28, 2016 at 20:49

Dessa Simpson's user avatar

I solved changing the modem setting. The last versions of Android has problems with the WiFi channel 1 and 13, so the better way is to setting the transmission channel NO automatic, but fixed to an intermediate channel like 5, 7, etc... Since I've done this change the connection works great.

answered Jan 2, 2017 at 17:16

Stefano's user avatar

2

  • This answer does not convey any useful information about why one channel should be used over another.

    Jan 2, 2017 at 22:50

  • I don't even know what it's trying to say.

    Aug 11, 2018 at 19:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged

.